SALKANTAY TREK CHALLENGE 3 DAYS
- DETAILLS -
Our Salkantay Trek Challenge 3 days is a best alternative route designed for those who still wish to hike to Machu Picchu., in the tour you can see Salkantay glacier, the cloud forest and appreciate fruit, wild plants, animals of the area until you reach the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu.
Salkantay trek challenge 3 days is considered by most to be the best and challenging alternative route to Machu Picchu, This walk allows you to enjoy the options that there is in the salkantay route, you will pass for the highets point of the salkantay route to be to see salkantay mountain up close, you hike through the santa teresa valley that is full of vegetation is the begining of the peruvian amazon, you have the chance to see, plantations of coffe, coca, avocados, bananas and much more, this valley is full of fresh wáter with many waterfalls.
- Starting Altitude - 3350 meters / 10990 feet .
- Highest Altitude - 4600 meters / 15091 ft
- Walking Distance - 12km / 7.45 miles
- Campsite Elevation - 3920 meters / 12861 ft
- Meals - 2 breakfast, 2 lunch, 2 dinner, 1 tea times, 1 wake up tea
- Overall Difficulty - Changing
- STARTING POINT: - Cusco at your hotel
The snow-capped Salkantay is one of the highest mountains in Cusco, along with the Ausangate mountain in the Vilcanota mountain range which is located further south.
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is listed as one of the 25 best treks in the world by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine.
The Salkantay Trek is definitely one of the very best trekking adventures that you will find in Cusco and in Peru. After the Inca Trail classic or Inca Trail short, the Salkantay route is the 2nd most popular to Machu Picchu (and a lot less crowded).
Machu Picchu is one of the 7 Wonders of the Modern World, Heritage of Humanity, Historical Sanctuary of Peru and probably the most important archaeological site in Latin America.
Machu Picchu is majestic architecture comprises 140 structures throughout the citadel.
Machu Picchu is was built by the Inca Pachacutec around the year 1460
After being forgotten, it was only in 1911 that the American Hiram Bingham reached Machu Picchu on an expedition and spread the site worldwide.
- Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Chaullay.
- DAY 2: Chaullay - La Playa - Aguas Calientes
- DAY 3: MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
DAY 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Chaullay.
We’ll leave the city of Cusco at 04:00 a.m. we’ll pick you up from your hotel, and transport you for about 3 hours to Mollepata where we’ll stop for our breakfast and purchase some items for the trek, then, we’ll continue one hour drive to Soraypampa where we’ll start our hike. As soon as we are at Soraypampa, we’ll start hiking the first 3 hours will be uphill to get to the Highest Point which is at 4,600 masl (the highest of the trek) Afterwards we’ll follow a rocky serpentine trail down to the village of Huayracmachay and we’ll have lunch. In the afternoon, we descend further into a lush tropical ecosystem, the high Jungle; the temperature increasing as we go, We will walk until we reach our camp in Chaullay.
DAY 2: Chaullay - La Playa - Aguas Calientes
You will hike through the jungle are of Santa Teresa. The valley is formed by the salkantay river that discures from the white mountain. In this valley you have the opportunity to see waterfalls, rivers, plantations like coca, coffee, avocado, passion fruit, bananas and much more is a tropical valley and the climate is quite warm. After of our breakfast we will start the trek to the town of sahuayco, after 5 hours of crossing through the dense vegetation we arrived at the lunch point. After our lunch we will board a bus that will take us to Hidroelectrica, we will hike 3 hours more to aguas calientes town on the flat trail. Then we take you to the hotel for showering and relaxing, in the evening around 7:00 pm we organised a dinner in a restaurant in Aguas Calientes after dinner we go to sleep to climb Machu Picchu early on the next day.
DAY 3: MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
After an early breakfast at the hotel, we walk uphill to Machu Picchu at 5:00 am. or take the bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (Optional bus $16 each way), upon arrival at the Citadel we can appreciate the enigmatic beauty and the incomparable example of architectural perfection and hydraulics of one of the 7 Wonders of the Modern World, we will have a guided tour of about 2 hours, where we can appreciate the Main Plaza, the Circular Tower, Intihuatana, The Royal Quarters, the Temple of the Three Windows and the Cemetery, you are then given free time to stroll around the citadel . You will have all morning in Machu Picchu to take pictures, maybe to climb the Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, enjoy this mystical place. Then we´ll descend by bus to Aguas Calientes for lunch and then calmly return by train to Ollantaytambo where our tourist transport to the city of Cusco will be expecting us, and will later transfer you to your hotel.
Climb up Huayna Picchu and appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there (We recommend that you book in advance) Not Included
Climb Machu Picchu Mountain and appreciate the beauty and magnificence of Machu Picchu from there (We recommend that you book in advance) Not Included
Visit the new local museum or the hot springs in Aguas Calientes later in the day. Not Included
- Meals: Breakfast
- Tour: 2 hour guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Trek briefing with your Guide.
- Professional local Guide (on hike)
- Second tour guide for groups of 9+
- Private Transport and professional driver (to the starting point of hike “at Soraypampa”)
- Private transport from Ollantaytambo to your hotel in Cusco
- All entrance tickets and permits for Salkantay hike and Machu Picchu
- Horses or mules and Indigenous horsemen to carry (camping equipment: client tents, dining and cooking tents, table, stools, cooking gear, stove, gas container, cutlery, plates, food and fresh vegetables).
- Train Ticket Service from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo Village (Expedition Tourist Train)
- Bus Tickets from Aguas Calientes town to Machu Picchu (one way or return).
- Machu Picchu guided tour (2 hrs) and extra time for you.
- Personal items to carry 8 kg/17 lb. (so you just need to carry your day backpack with everything you will need during the day).
- 1 night camping
- Spacious tents / Sleeping mat.
- 1 night in a Hostel in Aguas Calientes. based on sharing a room; either double, matrimonial or triple depending on availability. Hotel brand rooms all include private bathrooms with hot showers and Wi-Fi.
- We provide a duffle for personal items.
- One Cook
- Excellent Meals (2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 2 Dinners)
- Food includes pancakes, omelets, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, chicken, fish, meat, rice, all before rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking (Vegetarian, vegan or special diet meals upon request).
- Tea time before dinner (tea, coffee, biscuits, popcorn)
- Boiled water provided from 2nd day (for drinking).
- Wake up coca tea in your tent.
- Buckets of hot water for washing in your tent every day
- Biodegradable soap and hand cleansing gel
- Oxygen Tank & First aid kit
- Breakfast on the first day
- Final lunch and dinner in “Aguas Calientes”.
- Huayna Picchu (US$25.00) or Machu Picchu Mountain (US$20.00) – if you want it
- Sleeping bags
- Walking Sticks: you can hire from our company
- Additional horses for extra personal luggage above that of the personal item allowance.
- Travel Insurance
- Optional up – grades (train and hotel)
- Tips (the amount you tip (or if you tip) is a personal decision and it is NOT an obligation.
WHAT TO BRING
- A backpack
- A beanie hat or ear warmer
- Sun hat
- A mid weight sweater
- A longsleeve t-shirt
- 1 – 2 t-shirts
- A lightweight suater or vest
- A pair of long pants
- Hiking shoes
- An extra pair of shoe
- 2 – 3 pairs wool socks
- A jacket
- A small towel
- Rain gear
- 1 – 2 pair shorts
- A small headlamp
- A toothbrust and other personal toiletries
- Toilet paiper
- Sun cream
- Insect repelent
- Camera and film
- Original passport (International Student Identity Card “ISIC” if applicable)
- Extra money for drinks.
- Emergency money at least 300-450 extra soles (USD$ 220)
List of objects to take to the trek.
This walk leaves every day of the year.
- Pre payment per person: 50% of the payment per person
- Balance: 50% before departure. - Terms and Conditions -
- PERSON - - PRICE - 2 $ 580.00 3 - 4 $ 520.00 5 - 7 $ 500.00 8 - More $ 380.00
“This Trek to Machu Picchu is available on any date that is best suited for you as long as we have a minimum of 2 hikers”
Get On Touch